West County Integrative Medicine: Robert A. Schulman, MD
Mar 19, 2020
To all of our patients:
Our office is presently closed, and will remain closed until the Sonoma County shelter in place order has been lifted.
You can use the scheduling link to reschedule your appointment once the order has ended.
Dr. Schulman is available for telemedicine visits. Please send an email to email@example.com if you would like to arrange a telemedicine visit.
Dr. Schulman will remain available via email and is checking voice mail for patients who might need assistance.
We wish all our patients and their families the best of health during this unprecedented time of crisis.
R. A. Schulman, MD
Return to improved function
The goal with every encounter and intervention is:
- Patient education
- Early return to function
- Improve quality of life
- Reduction in pain
Illness is not caused by a medication deficiency.
Fewer pills, less surgery.
Treat causes, not conditions.
We take the time to listen to your concerns, evaluate your medical history, conduct a thorough physical examination and plan an individualized course of treatment.
We strive to diagnose and treat the specific pain generators and/or the source of dysfunction.
Our specialties are:
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal Medicine
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine (EMG / Nerve Conduction Studies)
- Integrative Pain Medicine*
- Regenerative Medicine
- Functional Medicine
- Herbal and Nutritional Medicine
Our treatments include:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
- Perineural Injection Therapy
- Medical Acupuncture
- Osteopathic Manual Therapy
- Ketogenic and low-carbohydrate diets
*(note that we do not prescribe opioid or benzodiazepine medications for chronic non-malignant pain)
Accepting New Patients
Contact us to schedule an appointment:
or call (415) 839-8399 or (707) 247-4060
Dr. Schulman has been in in private practice since 1997 (Sonoma County and Manhattan).
He was voted Sonoma Magazine’s Top Doctor in 2016 and 2018 for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- President Elect, Sonoma County Medical Association
Medical Board Certifications:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR)
- Pain Medicine (ABPRM)
- Integrative Medicine (ABPS)
- Medical Acupuncture (ABMA)
- Interventional and Regenerative Orthopaedic Medicine Certification (IROM – C) (AAOM)
- Registered Herbalist, American Herbalists Guild
- Medical College of Wisconsin, 1991
- Internship, Hartford Hospital, 1991-1992
- Residency, New York Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, 1992-1995
- Helms Medical Institute (Physician acupuncture training), faculty since 1996.
- Hackett Hemwall Patterson Foundation (Prolotherapy training for physicians), since 2012
- Institute for Functional Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopedic Medicine (Prolotherapy training)
- Tri-State College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Herbal medicine)
Conditions we treat non-surgically
- Acute and chronic injuries
- Acute and chronic pain
- Post surgical pain
- Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid and Psoriatic Arthritis
- Spine pain
- Neck pain, upper back pain, lower back pain, sacroiliac pain
- Nerve pain
- Entrapment Neuropathies
- Migraine headaches, tension headaches
What to expect on your first appointment
Your care in our office will be comprehensive, and based on the entirety of the training and experience of Dr. Schulman.
Initial Comprehensive Office Visit:
The initial appointment for all patients is a one-hour consultation and exam conducted personally by Dr. Schulman.
The visit begins with an interview covering the following topics:
- comprehensive personal health history
- discussion of current health issues
- discussion of past medical and surgical problems
- review of prior diagnostic tests
- “review of systems” (questions regarding the health of the entire body)
- discussion of psychosocial issues
- family health history
- obtaining of names and phone numbers of prior and current doctors
- review of current and recent medications and supplements with attention to possible interactions
- diet, including intake of caffeine, alcohol, refined carbohydrates
Following the interview, a physical examination is conducted.
At the end of the initial visit, Dr. Schulman makes recommendations for further diagnostic testing, treatment, and referral to appropriate providers.
In most cases, treatment is not provided during the initial visit. If you would like to have a treatment immediately following the initial visit, please let us know so that we can block out a larger period of time in the schedule.
Insurance plans accepted
- Traditional Medicare
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO
Meritage Medical Network Plans accepted:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Blue Shield
- Health Net
- United Healthcare
- Western Health Advantage
- Health Net (Sonoma County only)
- United Healthcare Medicare Advantange Plans
- AARP Medicare Advantage Secure Horizons (HMO)
- UnitedHealthCare Medicare Advantage Assure (HMO)
- CIGNA PPO
- Galaxy Health PPO
- Interplan PPO/North Bay Health Partners
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Sutter Select PPO
- USA MCO PPO
**Please note that we do not accept Medi-Cal or Partnership plans
Sutter Health Network plans accepted:
- Aetna Value Network (AVN)
- HMO Deductible Plans
- Health Fund HMO
- Jackson Labs – Tier Two Provider
- US Access
ANTHEM BLUE CROSS OF CALIFORNIA
- Anthem Blue Cross HMO, also sometimes known as California Care or Rural Cal Care (includes CalPERS Traditional HMO)
- Anthem Blue Cross HMO/POS (California Care Plus)
BLUE SHIELD OF CALIFORNIA
- Blue Shield Access+ HMO Plan
- Commercial HMO/POS
- Network HMO/POS
- ELECT Open Access POS, Large and Small Group
- ELECT POS, Large and Small Group
- HMO – Flex Funded
- Health Net HMO: Large Group (101+ employees) & Small Group (2-100 employees)
- SELECT three-tier POS and SELECT two-tier POS, Large and Small Group
- Salud HMO Plus Large/Custom Group
- Sutter Health Plus
- AARP Healthcare Options Medigap Policy
- AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizon (HMO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizon (HMO) Employer Group
- AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizons Plan 1 (HMO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizons Plan 2 (HMO)
- Signature POS
- Signature Value (HMO)
- United Healthcare West Medicare Solution (upon advice of Sutter Foundation Provider Relations)