Dr. Robert A. Schulman is one of the foremost physicians practicing Integrative Medicine in Sonoma County.
He graduated from the Medical College of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee in 1991. His postgraduate training included an Internship at Hartford Hospital in Connecticut, and Residency at the New York Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, in Manhattan.
Dr. Schulman was in private practice in Manhattan from 1997 to 2011. He opened Marin Integrative Physiatry, located in Novato, California, in May of 2012, then served as Medical Director of Integrative Medicine in PMR at the Hunter Holmes McGuire VAMC in Richmond VA. He is now back in Santa Rosa, in Sonoma County, CA, in private practice at West County Integrative Medicine.
Dr. Schulman’s specialties include Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Functional Medicine, Orthopedic Medicine (prolotherapy, platelet rich plasma injections, ultrasound guided injections), Medical Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine, and Movement reeducation.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation:
Dr. Schulman has been Board Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) since May, 1996. The medical specialty of PM&R – Physiatry – includes study of the peripheral nervous system, the musculoskeletal system, and Electrodiagnostic Medicine. Training in physical medicine includes care for neck and back pain, sports injuries, arthritis, neuropathy (nerve disease) and myopathy (muscle disease). Training in rehabilitation includes the care of persons with illness such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and amputation.
Dr. Schulman completed the Hackett-Hemwall Prolotherapy Course for Physicians in 2011 and attended the 2-week Hackett-Hemwall Honduras Prolotherapy trip in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Additionally, Dr. Schulman regularly attends workshops sponsored by the American Academy of Orthopedic Medicine and has attained the Interventional and Regenerative Orthopaedic Medicine Certification through the organization.
Dr. Schulman began his study of acupuncture in 1996 at the Helms Medical Institute (HMI) – the largest and longest running acupuncture course for physicians in the United States. Since 1996, he has continued teaching with the HMI program, and now serves as a senior preceptor. Dr. Schulman created an advanced acupuncture course for HMI for the treatment of pain conditions.
He is Board Certified and a Fellow of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture (AAMA), the largest physician-only acupuncture organization in the United States. He served on the Board of AAMA from 1999-2002 and from 2006-2008. He was the Chair of the Legal and Legislative Council for AAMA from 2008-2012.
Dr. Schulman’s study of Herbal Medicine includes a 500-hour course at Tri-State College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, completed in 2001. He is one of the few physicians with the qualification of Registered Herbalist with the American Herbalist Guild, which he attained in 2012.
Dr. Schulman has completed all required coursework with the Institute for Functional Medicine to be eligible for certification as a Functional Medicine Practitioner. This training included:
- Restoring Gastrointestinal Equilibrium: Practical Applications for Understanding, Assessing, and Treating Gut Dysfunction
- Illuminating the Energy Spectrum: Evidence and Emerging Clinical Solutions for Managing Pain, Fatigue, and Cognitive Dysfunction
- Transforming the Assessment, Prevention, and Management of Chronic Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disorders
- Understanding Biotransformation and Recognizing Toxicity: Evaluation and Treatment in the Functional Medicine Model
- The Many Faces of Immune Dysregulation and Chronic Inflammation: Chronic Infections, Atopy, and Autoimmune Disorders
- Re-establishing Hormonal Balance in the Hypothalamic, Pituitary, Adrenal, Thyroid, and Gonadal Axis
Training and certifications include:
- 2015 Interventional and Regenerative Orthopaedic Medicine Certification (IROM – C)
- Registered Herbalist, American Herbalist Guild, Professional Member, 2013
- 2016 Board Certified, Integrative Medicine
- 2016-present and 2003-2013 Board Certified, Pain Medicine, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Certification Eligible, Functional Medicine
- 2005 Certificate of Added Qualification in Headache Management, National Board for Certification in Headache Management
- 2000-2002 Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine Studies, TriState College of Acupuncture, NY, NY
- 1997 Acupuncture studies, Helms Medical Institute
- 1996 Fellow, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 1996-present Board Certified, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 1995 Diplomate, American Academy of Pain Management
- 1992-1995 Residency, Physical Medicine Rehabilitation , New York Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- 1991-1992 Internship, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT
- 1987-1991 Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- 1984-1987 Pre-medical studies, San Francisco State University
- 1982-1983- Myofascial Release Training, Connective Tissue Polarity Institute, Santa Fe, NM
- 1981-1982- 1000 hour AMTA approved Massage Therapy program at Jay Victor Scherer’s Academy of Natural Healing
- 1979-1980- Professional Dance Training, NY, NY
- 1977-1979- BA Dance/Theater Naropa University, Boulder, Colorado
- American Academy of Medical Acupuncture, Board of Directors
May 1999 to May 2002
May 2006 to October 2008
- American Board of Medical Acupuncture
January 2003 to 2009
Secretary, 2005 to 2009
- Stephen Petronio Dance Company, 95 Saint Marks Place, #10 NY, NY 10009
1996 to 1998
- International Advisory Board
International Journal of Clinical Acupuncture
Allerton Press, Inc
- Board Examination Item Writing committee
American Board of Medical Acupuncture
June 2005- June 2008
January 2012 to present
- Chair, Website Committee
American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
2000 to 2003
- Chair, Legal and Legislative Council
American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
2008 to present
- Academic and Professional Development Steering Committee
Helms Medical Institute
2007 to present
- Enloe Medical Center, Chico, CA, 2015 – present
- Sonoma West Medical Center, Sebastopol, CA, 2016 – present
- Marin General Hospital, Greenbrae, CA, 2013
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1995-2010
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Center for Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1995-2010
- Assistant Attending Physiatrist, New York Cornell Medical Center, 1995-2010
- Medical Director, Center for Holistic Medicine at United Hospital, Portchester, NY, 1998-1999
In the Press:
Q&A: Is it Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Woman’s Day Magazine
Emotional Eating, Fitness Magazine
In These Times, Do We Still Need Farm Subsidies?, Letter to the Editor, New York Times
Health Care in the Marketplace, Letter to the Editor, New York Times
Schulman, R, Neuroprolotherapy and acupuncture for clinical trial of acute and chronic migraine treatment. The Journal of Headache and Pain 2014, 15(Suppl 1):G34 doi:10.1186/1129-2377-15-S1-G34. Meeting abstract, 4th European Headache and Migraine Trust International Congress: EHMTIC 2014 Copenhagen, Denmark 18-21 September 2014
Drake, D, Dimaru, D, Schulman RA, Chapter, Integrative Medicine in Rehabilitation, in Braddom’s Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 5e, Elselvier, 2014.
Schulman, RA, Pilot study for neuroanatomical acupuncture treatment of migraine, in press
Schulman, RA, Moroz, A Trigger Finger in a Diabetic Male Successfully treated with Acupuncture and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment: A Case Report. Medical Acupuncture, February 2013.
Acupuncture for Treatment of Chronic Low-Back Pain Caused by Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: A Case Series. Medical Acupuncture. September 2011, 23(3): 187-191
Allyson Augusta Shrikhande, Robert A. Schulman, Brian S. Lerner, Alex Moroz
Cotter AC, Bartolli L, Rosenfeld J, Schulman R, Seto DJ Chapter “Complementary and Alternative Medicine” in DeLisa’s Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Fifth Edition, 2011 Frontera Editora.
Moroz, A, Schulman, RA Chapter “Bodywork and Movement Therapies” in Pain Procedures in Clinical Practice, 3rd Edition, 2011 Lennard Editor.
Moroz, A, Schulman, RA, Chapter “Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Rehabilitation Medicine”. Medical Aspects of Disability: A Handbook for the Rehabilitation Professional, 4rd Edition 2011 (Springer Series on Rehabilitation)
Schulman RA, Liem B, Moroz A. Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome with Medical Acupuncture, Medical Acupuncture. September 1, 2008, 20(3): 163-167. doi:10.1089/acu.2008.0588
Schulman RA. Chapter “Complementary and Alternative Medicine” Encyclopedia of Elder Care, 2006
Solve it with Supplements, Author: Robert A. Schulman, MD, Medical Advisor: Carolyn Dean, MD, for Rodale Press, January, 2006
Schulman, RA Tibial Shin Splint Treated with a Single Acupuncture Treatment: Case Report and Review of the Literature, Medical Acupuncture Vol 13, Number 1, Spring/Summer 2001
Coulter, A H. A Hands-On Approach to Musculoskeletal Medicine : An Interview with Robert A. Schulman, M.D. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. April 2000, 6(2): 87-91. doi:10.1089/act.2000.6.87.
Braverman, D, Schulman RA: Western Massage Techniques, Alternative Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, Fall 1999
Cotter A ,Schulman, RA,: Body Therapy Techniques, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation State of the Art Reviews, Fall 1999
Schulman, RA, Cotter A, Harmon R: Guest Editor, Alternative Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, Fall 1999
Root BC, Schulman RA: Subacute Bacterial Endocarditis Presenting as Low Back Pain: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Abstract in Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, November, 1995
Schulman RA, Root BC: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Associated with Lumber Radiculopathy and Navicular Fracture, Abstract in Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, September, 1994
Schulman RA, Wertsch JJ, Zhu HS: Quantitative Analysis of Cane Cadence with a Portable Microprocessor based System. Abstract in Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, October, 1992